A one-stop resource for everything you need to know before the school year begins.
Grades refer to September (new) grade level.
- School Forms
- Summer Work
- Dress Code
- After-School Programs
- More Info
- Emergency Contact
- Trip Permission
- Parent Code of Conduct
- When do we receive teacher assignments?
- Will my child be able to meet his/her teacher before school starts?
- What if my child has difficulty with the summer work?
- Is campus open over the summer?
- How can I update our family’s contact information?
- I am not receiving emails from the School. Who can I contact?
- Is there a Student/Parent Directory I can access?
- How can I get involved with the Parents Association?
- Does Green Vale have a mobile app?
- Who can I speak with regarding my child's food allergy?
- Will Beginnings/Mommy & Me be offered next year?
- What fall sports are offered? When does my child make a selection?
- When does my child select an instrument? Where do I rent or buy it?
Teacher assignments are published on the GVS Parent Portal one week before School begins. An email will be sent out to all parents when this information has been posted online.
Please note that as per the Parent Handbook, The Administration and Faculty give careful thought and consideration to the sectioning of individual students. The School does not solicit parent requests for sectioning students, therefore special requests for teachers or placement should not be made.
Many teachers will reach out to their class prior to the start of the school year, but the first meeting for current students will likely be on the first day of school.
For new students (and their families) there will be an orientation on Tuesday, September 6 for students in Grades 1-8 and on Friday, September 9 for Early Childhood (Pre-Nursery-Kindergarten). This meeting allows our students and families to better acquaint themselves with their classroom, teachers and schedules.
Every parent is a member of Green Vale's Parents Association, and we welcome new volunteers throughout the School Year. To learn more the PA, attend a meeting or sign up for a volunteer position, please click here
To download the app, visit the Apple Store or Google Play and search for "The Green Vale School". The 2022-2023 parent password and set-up tips will be emailed in August.
The School Nurse keeps a record of all student allergies, including food, and communicates these restrictions to Dining Services.
Should you have any specific concerns please reach out to Nurse Sharon.
Green Vale interscholastic team sports program begins in Grade 5. Student make their selections during the first week and the 5th & 6th Grades and 7th & 8th Grades are combined to form teams. Most teams have scheduled games with various local schools. When the number of players necessitates, we may form two equal teams to allow for greater playing time. Our philosophy at this age is to give the most positive experience and as equal play time as possible.
- Girls - Soccer or Field Hockey
- Please note that all 5th Grade girls split the season between field hockey and soccer. Soccer will feature scheduled games; but field hockey does not at this level.
- Boys - Soccer or Flag Football
New 5th-8th Grade students will be placed in instrumental groups based on size of existing groups and their preference.
summer work Pre-K
Extra Math2nd Grade
Extra Math3rd Grade
Extra Math 4th GradE
EXTRA MATH5th Grade
EXTRA MATH6th Grade
The collective appearance of the student body is an important reflection values and attitudes of a school. The GVS dress code is designed to balance a degree of individual choice with consistency in student dress. Students and parents are asked to adhere to the approved colors and styles listed in the 2022-2023 Dress Code.
For physical education classes in 3rd Grade, students may remain in their school clothes. We recommend keeping a pair of extra sneakers and socks at school, as well as a Green Vale sweatshirt for colder days.
For PE classes and sports practices in 4th-8th Grade, a GVS athletic uniform (grey or white GVS shirt with navy GVS shorts) is required and may be left at school— exceptions no longer will be allowed as was the case during the past two COVID years. Purchase these items and other optional GVS apparel via SquadLocker.
Books and many school materials are provided by the School. The following required items should be brought on the first day of school:
Pre-Nursery - 5th Grade
Classroom supplies are provided by Green Vale.
Refer to the supply lists for each grade below. Use of "Yubbler" is optional, but does offer one-click purchasing and donates a percentage back to GVS.
All Early Childhood students (PN, N, PK, K) use GVS-issued tote bags each day. (These are distributed in September.)
1st-8th Grade students supply their own book bag/backpack, preferably without wheels.
Students supply their own reusable water bottle for use throughout the school day.
All students in Kindergarten–7th Grade will receive a Chromebook laptop in September. This is the device they will use during school. Current student Chromebooks will be cleaned, updated, and returned to the same student in September.
To obtain free bus transportation for Kindergarten-8th Grade students, families must file a request directly with their local school district by April 1 of the preceding school year (or within 30 days of moving to a new district.) By law, all non-city districts must provide free transportation within 15 miles for K-8th students. There is no bus service for students below Kindergarten.
Transportation Request Forms
Arrival & Dismissal by Car
To help manage traffic on campus, families are asked to drop-off and pick-up their children from a designated space on campus. The attached document provides you with a summary of each of the locations and times, based on your child/children's grade(s). Please note that the location may vary on Friday, and that older siblings should ALWAYS go to the location of the youngest sibling.
Arrival & Dismissal for 2022-2023
In August, each family will receive two 2022-2023 vehicle ID cling decals for the inside windshield to help our security personnel identify parent and faculty cars. Request an additional sticker.
Green Vale’s Extended Day provides supervision in an enriching environment for children to remain on campus after school hours, for a fee. Extended Day is offered Monday-Thursday until 5:00 PM, and Friday until 4:30 PM.
Starting in October, students may opt to participate in a variety of high-quality instructional and recreational activities on campus after school, each offering typically taking place once a week and lasting until Thanksgiving. A new season of programs will begin in January and another after spring break. Program information and pricing will be available in September.
- Wall Calendar & Family Directory: A colorful printed wall calendar with vacations and major events will be mailed in mid-August. The complete detailed calendar is accessible via the GVS website and mobile app and is updated throughout the year. A printed Family Directory will be distributed in early fall to ensure accuracy.
- Homeroom Teacher Assignments: Teacher assignments are available shortly before the start of school via the Parent Portal. Once available, instructions for access will be emailed.
- GVS Mobile App 2022-2023 Password: The GVS app is available via App Store and Google Play. The password for all parent users is the same; content and notification groups are self-selected. Look for an email in August with the password and user tips.
Summer Email Communications (Archive)
08/11/2022 - Meet the new faculty!
08/10/2022 - Update your contact information
08/01/2022 - Mid Summer Update
07/29/2022 - Additional forms required for completion
07/27/2022 - New PK- 5th Grade Math Specialist
07/25/2022 - An Important Announcement
07/14/2022 - PE Uniform Information (Grades 4-8)
07/07/2022 - Introducing Magnus Health