Service learning helps kids understand their own value.
Students gain a richer perspective of the world and their place therein through serving others. Seeing our students as future leaders with a real capacity to effect change, we show them this potential within an ethos of respect, empathy, and understanding. Service to others and stewardship of the environment is initiated through faculty-, student- and parent-led efforts.
Service learning projects begin in the classroom with age-appropriate presentation of a need or a problem. This learning is then applied to real-world applications, adding authenticity and purpose.
- Thanksgiving meals for Glen Cove Boys & Girls Club families
- Holiday gifts for every child at Glen Cove Child Day Care
- Hosting a day of fun for ELIJA School students with autism
- Interact Club (student-led charitable initiatives)
- Choral concerts & social visits at senior centers
- 8th Grade overnight YSOP service trip to NYC
- Leftover Halloween candy collected for Operation Gratitude
- 2nd Grade Bake Sale supporting various charities
- 5th Grade collects paper recycling campus-wide
- Older-younger "buddies" make bracelets and cards for pediatric cancer patients
- 7th Grade candy cane sale to benefit needy local families
- Soles for Souls: collecting shoes for women entrepreneurs to sell in developing countries
- Food & toys for animal shelters
- Collect GVS orchard fruit for NOSH food pantry
- Disaster relief efforts