Participation in athletics is an important aspect of the School’s mission and students in N- 9 have physical activity each day. Building a strong and fit body is an important goal of the program, as is developing the value of good sportsmanship, responsibility to a team and an enjoyment of physical activity. Participation in athletics is a school requirement and any request for a waiver in this requirement must be put in writing and submitted to the Head of School and the Athletic Directors for approval two weeks prior to the start of the season. A doctor’s note is required for temporary non-participation in athletics. The school nurse and athletic department need to be made aware of any medical conditions which may impact physical activity.
· N- 2 students should keep a pair of athletic shoes in school.
· Grades 3-8 students have sports four days a week and will be issued athletic uniforms and mouth guards, but a pair of athletic shoes from home must be kept in gym lockers. Cleats for older students are also advisable during appropriate seasons. The coaches will inform students of other necessary equipment.
· Students in grades 5-8 participate in inter-scholastic sports which may necessitate staying past the 4:20 dismissal time. Game schedules and directions to games will be available on the School’s website, so please refer to this often for pick-up times and schedule changes.
For students in grades 4-8, a yearlong competition between the Blue and Gold school teams culminates in June with Field Day. Parents, grandparents, siblings and all faculty members attend this event, where the winning team is presented with the Blue/Gold Trophy Cup. Students are assigned membership on a team in the fall of fourth grade, based on family legacy and by lot for all new Green Vale students.
· Blue/Gold Field Day is held in early June.
· Early Childhood and Lower School (grades1-3) Field Days occur on a Friday towards the end of May. Most parents try to attend these events in order to cheer on their children.